We’re lucky to live in such a beautiful State and there are some stunning locations on both river and ocean for you to check out.
Ocean SUP Spots Around Perth
- The iconic Port Beach, with the colourful stacks of the containers you can see and feel the energy of this fantastic working port! A stunning place to paddle.
- South Beach, a 5 minute drive from Fremantle. With ample parking, easy access to the beach, rolling greens lawn, playground and BBQ facilities, this location ticks all the boxes. The water at South Beach is a fabulous spot to find your sea legs on your SUP as the water is a little calmer than the beaches on the northern side of Fremantle.
- Coogee Beach/Omeo Shipwreck Dive trail – if you haven’t been here yet- what are you waiting for?The best vantage point is on a stand up paddle board! SUP’s must watch out for and give way to swimmers and divers in the water. You can paddle up to the jetty at Coogee beach and grab a coffee at the café!
River SUP Spots Around Perth
If you are still a beginner and feel more comfortable paddling flat water, we are spoilt for choice here in Perth. Some of our favourite spots are:
- Point Walter (the south side of the sand bar is best)
- Bicton Baths
- Gourley Park/Zephyr Café in East Fremantle or launch at North Freo at the end of Johannah Street Street and paddle around up river past the water police into Rocky Bay.
Always watch for boat traffic, it can get bumpy, so just drop to your knees if needed.
Great Beginner SUP Spots in Perth
Locations such as Freshwater Bay in Peppermint Grove and Matilda Bay in Crawley are less affected by boat wash so sensational for beginners.
SUP Day Trips
If you want to pack a picnic and head for the whole day, the following locations are a must do:
- Lake Leschenaultia near Chidlow
- Yanchep Beach
- Penguin Island and the Rockingham Foreshore.
- Mandurah – you will find endless spots, both in the ocean and the estuary. Take a leisurely cruise around the canals or Avalon beach is spot on for riding waves when the swell is right.
- Collie – Collie is a hidden gem! Black Diamond Lake, Stockton Lake and Lake Kepwari are all excellent places to SUP. Do not leave without checking out the new mural at Wellington Dam!
- Moore River – close enough for a day trip, but far enough away to feel like you are on a mini-holiday! Magic SUP conditions.
A Few Tips
Always check the forecast, Seabreeze is a great app to have on your phone, it shows wind speed and direction, ocean swell and live wind at various locations.
If there is a slight breeze, paddle into it first! If it gets strong, you will have it at your back when you turn around.
Wear a leash and paddle with a buddy.
Ok – I think we’ve given you enough inspiration to get out there and explore Perth and its surround via the water! We can’t wait to see where you go exploring.
Tag us @standupsurfshopfreo #standupsurfshopfreo so we can share your pics on our social media pages.